With Summer around the corner, we all know that camping is on most of our to do lists. Campfire accidents send thousands of people to emergency rooms with burn injuries every year. So, we wanted to go over some tips to stay safe during campfires:
- Before setting up a campfire, be sure it is permitted.
- Keep campfires at least 25 feet away from anything that can burn.
- Clear away dry leaves and sticks.
- Avoid burning on windy days.
- Watch children while fire is burning.
- Attend to the campfire at all times.
- Keep a campfire small which is easier to control.
- Never use gas or other flammable or combustible liquids.
- Always have a hose, bucket of water, or shovel nearby to put out the fire.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, and roll.
- Treat burns right away. Cool the burn with cool water for 3 to 5 minutes. Cover with clean, dry cloth. get medical help if needed.