Before Thunderstorms and Severe Weather
How To Prepare for Thunderstorms
When we think about storms most think of rain, hurricanes or windstorms. Not many think of thunderstorms. Here are some tips to prepare if a thunderstorm is on the horizon.
- Learn about your local community's emergency warning system for severe thunderstorms.
- Discuss thunderstorm safety and lightning safety with all members of your household.
- Put together an emergency preparedness kit.
- Pick a safe place for household members to gather during a thunderstorm. This should be away from windows, skylights and glass doors that could be broken by strong winds.
- Protect your animals by bringing them indoors.
- Make a list of items to bring inside in the event of a severe thunderstorm.
- Consult your local fire department if you are considering installing lightning rods.
- Get trained in first aid and learn how to respond to emergencies.
- Make trees and shrubbery trimmed and remove damaged branches to keep them more wind resistant.