Fire Safety Tips
SERVPRO of Benicia/Martinez/Southeast Vallejo will be there if you need us 925/372-7234
- Maintain your fireplace correctly.
- Inspect the fire box (hearth) for cracks, damaged sheet metal (for inserts) and other hazards.
- Use glass fire doors or a wire mesh spark screen to prevent embers from popping out of the fireplace.
- Burn dry, seasoned wood to prevent creosote buildup in the chimney. Note that some woods, like cedar, pop excessively when burned, and should not be used in an open fireplace.
- Remove ash and unscorched wood only when there are no embers or sparks in the fire box. Place ash in a metal (not a plastic bucket) and place outside away from any buildings.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned at least once a year.
- Keep flammable liquids away from ignition sources.
- Keep gasoline, paint thinners, and other highly flammable liquids or materials in UL approved containers and out of the house.
- Do not store any flammable liquid in a garage or utility room with that has a pilot light equipped appliance in use in it. Be safe, keep these items outdoors, or in a separate outbuilding.